Razumijen

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Dedication and Thanks

For Those Who Were There

Razumijen is dedicated to the people of the Balkans in hopes they may navigate this coming century in peace, stability, and prosperity. It is dedicated to those who lived through the critical years of the breakup of Yugoslavia. And also to those who lost their lives, their physical, mental or spiritual health, their friends, families, and fortunes in the terrible years. May this work help bring them closure to the events of the past, and teach others so future generations and people around the world will not have to suffer similar grief and tragedy.

It is dedicated to all the keepers of the peace and the concerned citizens of the world who helped rather than caused harm and acted effectively, diligently and tirelessly during the critical years. Those who mitigated and solved problems, and prevented or ameliorated the suffering. Doctors and nurses, religious and educational leaders who saved and shaped lives. Concerned neighbors, valiant eyewitnesses and journalists. Dedicated police officers and others in criminal justice and the press. All those who researched, reported, tracked, and prosecuted the worst offenders, and interceded so that other offenses never occurred. International peacekeepers or native soldiers who kept their ethics and morals paramount—especially during the worst of the events.

For Those Who Care About Social Justice


It is also dedicated to the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), a non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to peaceful alternatives to war. My mother, Beatrice Corless, has been a longstanding member of WILPF. In December 2001, not long after the hysteria and demands for vengeance for 9/11, my mother was handing out flyers urging parents to avoid violent and warlike games.

My thanks also extend to the people at St. Jude the Apostle Episcopal Church in Cupertino, California. "Peace and music." Recently for Irene Kwok's conducting recital, I sang bass in the spiritual, Down by the Riverside, which has the emphatic line, "Ain't gonna study war no more." Alas, I do and shall continue to do so.

Therefore I must offer my fellow parishioners, my fellow singers, my mother and WILPF an apology. For I have been an avid military simulation player and designer nearly my entire life. When I read this article about my mother handing out flyers, it made me mindful of how closely I have been attached to the very industry my mother is protesting against.

Yet I continue to study war with a purpose. I do so to understand the psychological mechanics of war and conflict, in the hope of averting the desire for such in the future and even in the critical present. It may not always be possible. The Balkans showed how war and violence can be a very effective tool to execute policy and achieve personal ends by any means. Only by studying the mechanisms of war can we find social, intellectual and philosophical alternatives. Only by studying war can we spot the moments of its fomenting, its tipping points, and the manner to bring its swiftest resolution with the least destruction.

I'd like to thank all the military simulation game designers who taught me directly or indirectly through playing their games. I'd like to thank those who inculcate the believe that the art of simulating war and conflict can be used so that it does not have to be prosecuted and inflicted in real life.

Those Who Guided Me Down the Path


In particular, I'd like to thank Snjezana ("Jana") Krezo, a fellow student in my MBA program and former resident of Vukovar, who encouraged me to visit Croatia. She was the one that said I should go to see it myself, and so, this first trip especially is due to her prodding. I'd like to thank her and her family and friends and contacts who have been so helpful so far in this project.

I'd also like to thank Travis Petkovits, who I met at the 2006 GAMA Trade Show in Las Vegas. He was the person who recommended Rebecca West's seminal study of Yugoslavia before World War II, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon.

I'd also like to thank Chris Salander, a long-time friend who helped with Celebrate History years ago, and who I still see at the Bay Area miniature and gaming conventions, and Jeff Tibbits of Pacific Rim Games for their encouragement in the early stages of the project. Chris, thank you for the copy of Marita-Merkur, and for pointing me towards Jeff.

For You

If you have come to this page, it was with a purpose of interest on the topic. Even if you ended up here by accident, consider you have stuck around and read as far as you have. For your attention and interest, for your time and care, I thank you.

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Zareh Artinian said...

Hello Peter. I came across your posting in which you state that the only way to avoid war in the future is to study war now. I'm not sure I agree. I think that one needs to work for peace, live by a code of peace as an example to others, to demonstrate tolerance, and to look at the causes of war, not the mechanics of war, to find ways to avert future wars. The alternatives to war should be (ideally) diplomacy and working for social justice.

By the way I applaud your mother's efforts and as well as your own motivation. In all honesty, I didn't read all you had to posted -- it's quite a bit to digest and I only stumbled upon it last night.

By the way, I knew you from Beach Channel. I don't know if you remember me -- I think I was rather more of a ghost in high school blending into the scenary -- but I'm happy to have stumbled upon your blog and followed the links to see what else you've been up to. I don't have one of my own. Anyway, regards for now.
Zareh Artinian

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Zareh,

I do remember you. I recall your face quite vividly. And your smile!

Taking to heart your thoughts, I have partnered with Karl D. John, of Hanoi, Vietnam, to begin the Global Understanding Institute, dedicated to the Global Understanding movement.

http://globalunderstandinginstitute.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home