Razumijen

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Initial Images of Croatia

My Third Eye on Zagreb, Copyright © 2006 Peter Corless

I went to Zagreb in the spring of 2006 in order to look back on the history of the war of independence of c. 1990—1995. I had only recently gotten my “Eye of Horu” cap at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Freedom Train ride from Palo Alto up to San Francisco earlier that year. The cap symbolized a change in my life. “Under New Management,” as the saying goes. I prayed the trip would illuminate the issues in my mind and keep my mind open to new ideas and away from preconceived judgments.

Zagreb Park & Parking Copyright © 2006 Peter Corless

The hotel in Zagreb where I stayed had its back to a small green park and courtyard surrounded by various buildings of odd mixed heritages spanning from the Austro-Hungarian Imperial era (pre-World War I) through the Cold War (1950s-1960s). Vehicles crammed into the crowded parking in the back like Matchbox cars tossed in by a tempestuous child and bonked on repeatedly to force them into a spot however they would fit.

The biggest issue I had in that first twenty four hours was realizing that my power cords did not seem to work at all. My laptop was going to have problems. The “universal” power adapters and all the wiring I had gotten in the states in preparation for the trip seemed not to work. Thus, most of the trip was technically a bust. I filmed far less than I wanted. I wrote far less than I intended, and I felt more put upon by technology than sensed I was being served by it to do it’s job on the trip.

I did get photos and videos. Yet nothing was ever easy. Power and recharging became an instant and chronic problem, which detracted from the entire experience through Croatia, and later, England.

Zagreb Laundry Copyright © 2006 Peter Corless

After I woke and readied myself, I went down to the lobby to await Dorica Perak and Petra Gjuric. Both would serve as translators, interpreters, drivers, guides, and dear friends on my trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home